Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Himalayan Honey Green - Souvia Tea

I've been drinking flavored teas for quite a few years now, but it's only recently that I've begun to appreciate the orthodox teas. I think a big contributing factor to that was my recent employment by a local tea shop. It's hard to talk about a tea that you've never tried.  

Sine my appreciation is so new sometimes I feel a bit silly trying to talk about tea tastes when I consider myself, and my palate, to be such an amateur. But, I think that's a big part of the beauty of tea: it tastes different to everyone. Its what makes tea so universal. I completely believe there is a tea out there for everyone.


I think the point of my rant was: my appreciation isn't quite there yet for green tea. To me they are just a bit too vegetal and astringent. However, this Himalayan Honey Green totally rocks my green tea paradigm.

Origin: Nepal
Type: Green (20% oxidized but it seems most vendors still sell it as a Neapalese green tea)
Steep time: 2 min 30 sec
Water temp: 175°
Method: porcelain cupping set


Dry, this tea smells rich and sweet like dates/raisins.  The leaves are long, a bit curled, and just georgous shades of green.  The grassy green smell really comes out once they're steeped and the liquor comes out a very pale green.
It's a very well balanced combination of vegetal, astringent, and a mellow honey sweetness.  Since it isn't overy grassy, I think it would be a good introductory green.


No comments:

Post a Comment