Pages

Friday, April 3, 2015

Palate Training Troubles

Tasting words are HARD!  At least they are for me, a life-long picky eater and new-ish to the nuances of orthodox tea.  My palate is severely underdeveloped.  This is a big disadvantage for someone with a strong desire to drink ALL the teas.  :(  Reading about tasting words is one thing, my tea journal has a very handy list of the most common aspects of color, body, aroma, and taste.  But sometimes reading the definitions of the words doesn't transfer to the actual taste.  Is this tea naturally astringent or is it bitter because I steeped it too long/ too hot?

If I had an unlimited amount of funds and time (thanks homework and house cleaning) I would love to sit down and develop an easy tasting flight that showcases prime examples of the most common tea aspects.  In my head it's similar to that scene in French Kiss where she tries some wine, smells some herbs and oils, tries the wine again, and can taste so much more in it.  (French Kiss is an awesome movie, you should go watch it)  :D

I'm sure someone in the tea world out there has done this already but I can't seem to find it.  Have any of you come across something like this before?  If so let me know, cause tea is awesome but tasting words are hard.  Luckily, tea is still amazingly delicious so tasting them over and over isn't too brutal.  :D

2 comments:

  1. The good news is that the best way to learn and train your palate is to drink all of the teas! Just read and drink as much as you can, it will come in time. I had similar struggles (also being a picky eater) at first. It helps to order sample sizes so that you can try a variety of things without a huge expense. Comparing similar teas at the same time can also help a lot. If you're ever near Tuscon, I definitely suggest checking out Seven Cups. They were one of the first companies that I ordered from and I still recommend them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad there's hope for me even though I'm picky!! :D

      That's so funny that you mention Seven Cups. I'm trying to visit all the local (ish) shops and was planning my trip to Tucson yesterday. I'm goinig down there with my sister and trying to visit three shops in between our scheduled plans, we have about a 4 hour window of free time. I'm VERY excited!

      Delete